Junior Rider Camp, Grade 2 – 5
Learn new skills, build confidence on the bike, and summer fun on the trails.
Junior Riders introduces young riders (grades 2-5) to the sport of mountain biking through full day adventures on Boulder’s City and County Open Space trail systems.
This is a 4-day camp for beginner mountain bikers who want to gain confidence riding on singletrack. Each day of camp, coaches work with athletes to learn skills necessary to safely navigate singeltrack and practice proper trail etiquette on multi-use trails. Through fun rides, lots of time on the trail, and an encouraging, non-competitive environment, athletes build confidence, make new friends, and practice bike handling skills on the trail.
Junior Riders explore a different trail every day. Athletes learn and practice the following basic bike skills on the trail each day of camp: braking, shifting, balance/proper form on uphills and downhills, getting started on hills, riding over rocks and cattleguards, trail etiquette, and on trail bike maintenance (e.g. pre-ride bike check, flat tire change, minor adjustments and chain fixes).
Tentative Ride Location Schedule for Junior Riders:
- Mondays: Valmont Bike Park
- Tuesdays: Heil Ranch (group meets and rides at Corral trailhead/Schoolhouse Loop)
- Wednesdays: Marshall Mesa
- Thursdays: Doudy Draw
Bike & Equipment Requirements for Camps:
- Athletes must have a trail-ready mountain bike in safe working condition with hand brakes, multiple gears, adequate tires, and a minimum 20” wheel size.
- Athletes must have a comfortable hydration pack or backpack that can hold and carry the following items during each ride: lunch/snacks, water, sunscreen, rain jacket, and an extra tube. We highly recommend a CamelBak type hydration pack with a built-in water reservoir and storage compartments.
- Athletes must be prepared to spend a full day on the trail riding bikes in summer weather conditions each day of camp. Athletes should also be comfortable balancing and pedaling their bike on a paved path or gravel surface.
For additional information or questions contact: email@example.com
Click on Pricing, Camp Dates, or Meeting Times in the box below for more information about program fees, camp dates, and registration.